The comprehensive resources dedicated to foreigners including tourists, retirees, and expats who come in to Thailand to live and travel.
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

 How to obtain retirement visa while you are in your country?

Go down 

Posts : 4
Join date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: How to obtain retirement visa while you are in your country?   Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:03 am

Before we go into details, make sure that if you plan to bring your spouse with you, she is over 50 years old, otherwise she can only stay here as temporary stay under the catagory O visa, which simply means that your spouse can only stay in Thailand for 3 months period rather than one year period that you will have after granted with the retirement visa. There is the way in the law you can slip, and slide through, but we will discuss about this in the other topic. Let's get start with this topic, shall we.

When you applu for the retirement visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in your country, you are actually apply for "a non-imm O-A visa".

The first step to do is to obtain the forms from the Royal Thai Embassy in your home country.

The second step is to fill out the forms, which usually come in two types, the application form in triplicate, and the personal data form.

The third step is to prepare all documents, and pictures. For the document, you will need all forms you have just filled out, 4x6 cm photo taken within the last six months (NO SMILE), and of course, your passport which must have a remaining validity of at least 18 months, the most important of all is the proof of your asset or your monthly income! Let's elaborate this issue a lttle to make sure you do understand what it is exactly since many have been talking about this in many different views. By Thailand laws, there are 3 alternative ways for you to proof your financial status;
1) is to show copies of your bank account statement in which for at least 3 months before application you have had the equivalent of at least 800,000 baht deposited in your bank in your home country, or banks in Thailand (I highly not recommend bank in Thailand as it may post many complication later on). Also, you need to have your bank issue original letters (make it 3 original letters for safety) to Royal Thai Embassy stated that each account is confirmed, by the bank, the accuracy of the account statement. (simply put it is the letter from the bank said that how much you have in your account as of the date you ask for them the letter, and other info in the state ment is true, just ask them, they should know what to do)
2) You can also submit an original income certificate from the source of income showing that you have a monthly income or pensions of at least or equvalent of 65,000 baht
3) Now, this is a bit unauthodox for folks out there who not having quite enough saving but do have some income from you homeland. And it is sometime rejected by the Thai immigration, but it works with some people depending on how your presentation , and your records look like. This method is in the case that you have less than 800,000 baht in your bank account but you do have an income. The rule is you can combine your monthly income multiplied by 12 (months) plus your bank deposit and if it come up of total of 800,000 baht or more. Your financial proof should be acceptable. For instant, you have an equivalent of 500,000 baht in your account untouched for the last three month, and you have income or pensions of 40,000 baht per month from your work (must be at your homeland, not Thailand) or from the government. Then, you will have total of 40,000 x 12(months) = 480,000 baht + 500,000 baht you have in your account. This is equivalent of 980,000 baht which should be acceptable as your financial proof!

The fourth step is to obtain the criminal record report from your home land's police department, or from similar orgaisation depending on your country. This is to proof to the Thai Embassy that you have no past criminal records, and this letter must be issued less than three month before application, and must be notarised.

The fifth step is to obtain medical certification in the form that the consulate or Embassy will give you. This is to show that you are not suffering from leprosy, an advance stage of tuberculosis, drug addiction and whatever it is that theystated in the rules.This cetificate must also be notarised and dated not more than three months before your application.

And last but not least, is to decide which kinds of visa for non O-A you would like to apply for. There are 2 types in general; a single entry, and the multiple entry. The single entry will not allow you to retain your non imm O-A status have you leave Thailand during your one year period. This single entry type costs you 2000 baht in fee. The multiple entry, on the other hand, let you leave the country during your 1 year period without any effect on your non imm O-A visa. So, you can travel outside Thailand during your retirement here in Thailand. It will cost you 5000 baht in fee. Otherwise you can also change the single to multiple entry while in Thailand, I believe it will cost you at around 3800 baht (if I remember it correctly)

Although you have been granted the retirement visa O-A, you are stilll responsible for going to the Thai immigration while you are in Thailand, and file an immigration form TM47, the proof of where you currently stay in Thailand. This has to be done every three months. until your next visa extension. Fail to do so will result in penalty fees, and it might effect your immigration status. So, I recommend marking it on your calendar when you first arrive until it gets into your system somehow.

That would be it for this forum. If any member have any information to share please let us or the other members know. And tune in for other forum of how to retire in Thailand Happily.Till next time, Good Bye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
How to obtain retirement visa while you are in your country?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
» Visa d'Entente for Benin/Burkina/Ivory Coast/Niger/Togo
» Le visa américain, et plus particulièrement le DS-160
» Leaving Mexico with expired Visa by plane
» Buy Mexican-plated car on Tourist Visa?
» US Passport and US Tourist Visa Issues

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TalkinThai Forum :: Retiree :: Legal Issues-
Jump to: